Friday, February 20, 2009

It's A Pangram

When I see a "series ender" XYZ in a puzzle, I immediately start to scan for the appearance of all the rest of the alphabet in the grid. Sure 'nuff, constructor Kevin G. Der gave us a bonus: the ever-elusive pangram. We also got some "bonus" letters -- that's the theme, folks -- hinted at in the old street cry (think newsboys back before any of us was born) at 57 across. And an added treat for this sci-fi movie / TV fan: references to both Star Trek and Star Wars. Neat!

I solved this one in two spurts: half on the commute in to work and half on the way home from work, which included its own "bonus" stop-off at the Union Square Barnes & Nobel to visit the 2nd floor offering of puzzle books.

I wanted something different. Hence, the rows and rows and rows of Will Shortz publications just seemed ... sad. And I already had the two Fraser Simpson New-Yorker-style cryptic books ... these are such a delight, I was hoping for a third. I do hope another is in the works! I rejected an offering of ... ahem ... adult ... themed "dirty" crosswords, not that I mind, particularly, I'm just not in the mood.

And then I spotted the orphan: one lonely copy of the Mensa Big Book of Acrostics, Vol 2, by Michael Ashley. One hundred Acrostics that I figured would be good practice for the every-other-Sunday Times Magazine offering. So I brought it home with me and settled down at once to #1, which I ended up solving in its own two spurts: half before bed, the other half before breakfast. I needed to look up only one entry, the 4-letter answer to "Author of Buddenbrooks" and probably didn't really need that if I'd been a little less impatient.

New to me, from this puzzle, is the name "Old Scratch" for Satan. The American Heritage Dictionary explains that the term was used in New England (so I should have known it) but now is mainly a US Southern expression (which explains why I'm not familiar with it). "Old Nick" also apparently refers to Satan. Good to know. They're sure to turn up in crosswords some time.

4 comments:

  1. The author of Buddenbrooks and Old Scratch -- Mann and the Devil himself -- sounds like I might actually have succeeded in solving that acrostic myself!

    I've never been a fan -- partly I think because quotations are my least favorite word puzzle solution/clue, and therefore my least favorite type of puzzle to solve. I have no memory for quotations, nor any desire to develop one.

    Glad you took up Ellen's challenge, or challenges shall we say? Can't say I've ever succeeded with a Harper's puzzle, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harper's puzzles are just plain evil. I'd love to complete one just once.

    I like quotations, actually, not that I have much memory for them. They're often the solutions to cryptograms ... I'm pretty good with cryptos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosie, did you know that people discuss the Harper's (and Atlantic) cryptics online? Just look for relevant topic listings in the Crossword Fiend forum's Cryptics section. Not many people talk about the Harper's puzzle. I find the Cox/Rathvon Atlantic cryptics to be much smoother, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,

    Thank you for the link. I shall definitely visit ... and I'll check out the Atlantic cryptic, as well. Haven't done that in ages, time I returned to it. Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete