Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Pangram and An Idea

Duly noted: Randy Sowell's NYT Monday pangram, nothing ... ummm ... picayune ... about it. And that was the entry (picayune) I puzzled over the most ... what on earth could "pica_ _ _ _" possibly be? Must have made a mistake in the crossings. Nope, no mistake. But, dang it, then what could that be? "Picay_ _ _" didn't solve the mystery, though you would lthink it would. Only when I filled in the U of "erupt" did the light dawn.

Spotted several fellow solvers -- not all working away at the Times puzzle -- throughout the day yesterday which gave rise to an idea for a contest I could do with this blog. This would involve choosing winning words, getting appropriate inexpensive yet fun prizes, handing out bookmarks, and hoping I don't attract spam.

I am notoriously shy . . . yet those puzzle-working strangers I've spoken to -- breaking their puzzle concentration -- have been invariably pleasant and friendly.

So I shall give it some more thought. I have the bookmark all designed, though!


No comments:

Post a Comment