Monday, March 23, 2009

Sunday's Specialty

It's a Split Decision by George Bredehorn, wherein there are no clues other than pairs of letters which words *don't* share: PRison and UNison, for instance.

I didn't quite finish this ... I'm stuck on the pair __ __ A __ RY and __ __ A __ TZ. The only word I can think of that ends in "tz" is ritz but, of course, that's not it. I want the first of the pair to be starRY, but that doesn't morph into starTZ.

That one and two others kept me from finishing the puzzle, but the rest of it went down fairly quickly. I was glad I had my pencil handy for it, though. It was a nice warm-up for the main event at the head of the page, "Closing the Deal" by Joon Pahk and Matt Mater. I started at the bottom and worked my way up in the puzzle as on the page ... have yet to finish it, however, as other weekend pursuits called. But I do have all week to return to it.

6 comments:

  1. Rosie,

    You and I are so different; the ....tz on which you are stuck is the first one I got. Alas, I'm not getting very far with the rest although I haven't spent much time.

    Meanwhile, I think it's about time for the April Harper's to hit the stand, so I shall be in search of that. Are you up for another Harper's challenge or have you had enough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to put my name on the above, but I think you know it's Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, indeed, I shall be on the lookout for the April Harper's and give the puzzle another try. Maybe I'll actually get an entry or two!

    I'm still stuck on _ _ _ _ TZ. Can I get a hint? Purty please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The letter right before TZ is an R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a clue in return; I a absolutely stuck on the upper right 8-letter words that end US and SE. any hints?

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. OPPS - make that 'I am" absolutely stuck. Plus I need a capital 'a' for
    'any hints'. GRR - is there no way to edit ones post after one posts?

    ReplyDelete