Monday, January 12, 2009

A Crossword Connection

Occasionally I "meet" again in a puzzle someone I've met before in other circumstances or times. Today was such a day:

The late, great, photographer ANSEL Adams makes an appearance in today's Times puzzle courtesy of the puzzle's constructor Lynn Lempel. I had to smile, especially when I saw that Jim Horne had put up his picture at the top of his Wordplay blog this morning.

Many years ago, I was looking over some of my photos taken for a photography class when a fellow student, looking over my shoulder, exclaimed, "Wow, you got a photograph of Ansel Adams!" I had, at the time, no idea who Ansel Adams was. "Who's that?" I asked, and "Where?" The fellow student pointed to a photograph I'd taken of my husband.

"Oh, no," I said. "That's just my husband." "No, no, it's Ansel Adams." As if I didn't know my own husband. Heh. My interlocutor kindly explained what a famed photographer Ansel Adams was and I found myself on high alert for a photograph of him.

Before I found that, however, I noted that Mr. Adams was scheduled for a talk at MOMA, so I made sure I was in that audience. It was a surreal experience: Adams, I discovered, was taller than my husband, and the voice was different, but in all other respects the two could have been identical twins, right down to the black-frame glasses and musical backgrounds.

After that, I found a picture of Adams and showed it to hubby Joe, who was intrigued ... but the two never met. I never really thought to seek that out, but perhaps I ought to have done so: what a photograph that would have made! 

No comments:

Post a Comment