Monday, January 19, 2009

Inaugural Weekend

As expected, the Sunday Times puzzle had a Presidential Inauguration theme, with a gimmick: the nine theme entries held the letters of OBAMA's name, in order, left to right. It was a pleasant solve though I had to put it down a few times and walk away to ponder over it a bit. But, to my mind, that's what a Sunday should be: lazy and leisurely and eventually yielding.

As promised to my friend Ellen, whose favorite puzzle is the double acrostic, I gave today's second puzzle, an acrostic, a good try. Alas, as usual with me, I couldn't crack it. I did get (I think!) several of the wordlist entries, but most of the wordlist went unanswered, and working 'backward' from the letters entered into the quote didn't help at all. I'm afraid I just need more hints. I kept wishing the quote, whatever it was, was a cryptogram instead. Those I can solve!

I'm looking forward to a nice, smooth, easy Monday puzzle today!

4 comments:

  1. Rosie,

    It took me longer than usual to do the double crostic, but I did get it done. Did you look at the first letters of the answers below to see if you could figure out the author and source of the quote? If you e-mail me back I'll give you one answer of your choice that you need to go further.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosie,

    I too enjoy the Acrostic. It was a little difficult today, as far as the clues went. But for some reason parts of the quote jumped out at me and I was able to back figure it from there. I did google 'old rough and ready' to give me a definite start

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I had to Google 'old rough and ready' also.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. As did I! My first thought was that it was Teddy Roosevelt, as he was a Rough Rider, but of course that didn't fit. Ellen straightened me out on a couple of mis-fires and gave me one word of my choice to fill in on the word list, after which the quote finally came to light.

    Two more weeks to another acrostic. I may get the hang of it yet ...

    ReplyDelete