Monday, January 19, 2009

That's What Friends Are For

My thanks to Ellen, who helped me crack Sunday's Double Acrostic. Once I learned that two of the words I'd semi-confidently entered on the wordlist were definitely wrong, wrong, wrong, I could figure out the real answers, then just to kick it up a notch and make sure I'd hang on till the very end, Ellen allowed me one free fill-in. It was a challenge to try to determine which one of the many blank words in the list would help the most.

I had by then googled the "Old Rough and Ready" clue, was wondering whether the constructors were counting "Q.T." as a single word, and figured that Glinda in "The Wiz" could be googled if it came to that ... and then a couple of other answers jumped out at me. Finally, I decided I needed to know what to call a "post-inaugural procession" (some kind of PARADE?), Ellen wrote back with the answer, and -- voila! -- a very apt quote began to appear.

There will be another Double Acrostic in a couple of weeks. I shall have to give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. I think Q.T. is misleading; to me it's 2 letters, not a word, but what do I know.

    I'm glad you solved the puzzle; I'm finding it funny that all of us had to Google old rough and ready - poor Zachary Taylor, the president we all forgot.

    Now on to the real challenge; I think the next issue of Harper's should hit the newsstands this week.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete