Saturday, January 24, 2009

Where did the week go????

Will Shortz must have had a mountain of Obama-related puzzles come his way and couldn't resist publishing a whole slew of them in the runup to Tuesday's historic occasion. To the consternation of some (see comments over on Jim Horne's Wordplay blog) but to the pleasure of many, me included. My favorite was the "OBAMA" Easter Egg buried in Monday's solution. I was also mightily impressed by Tuesday's puzzle constructed by Tim Wescott: how on earth did he manage to place the letters to YESWECAN in all the right places like that? In my book, that's a standing ovation accomplishment.

Wednesday settled down into some punny play, which ... um ... puzzled me until I caught on. CORECURRICULUM, I thought, but why are there only 3 spaces for the 4-letter CORE? And what does that have to do with "non-pedigree"? Oh! CURcurriculum! And then the rest of the entries just fell quietly into place. Well, quietly except for the low groans that puns elicit in general.

I never finished the Thursday Times puzzle, and I'm just now -- on Saturday morning -- looking at Friday's puzzle. I'm trying to see how much of it I can manage to solve before I leave to pick up today's paper and tackle the always-evil Saturday puzzle. So what kind of clue is this, said she, blinking and moaning: Film with the line 'By the authority vested in me by Kaiser William II, I pronounce you man and wife. Proceed with the execution.' Is that the winner of the longest-ever-clue prize? Clue that the least number of solvers would possibly know the answer to? Is it even google-able?

Ha! I have five, maybe ten, minutes to give to this. Yipes.

Lucky for me, the answer will be in today's paper. That's why they do it that way. Right? Right!

No comments:

Post a Comment